Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Strength & Honor

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
{S&H} SERVER DONATIONS
Photobucket
Code of Conduct
Photobucket
Latest topics
» Hey Y'all, Its Phingies
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 pm by MoNgOoSe

» World of War Ships member footage
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am by Shootist75

» A little history into the BF series..
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 7:30 pm by The MAD Doctor

» My BF1 beta impressions...
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 8:29 am by STEELHED

» Good Price
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 3:52 pm by STEELHED

» Long Time No See
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2016 9:27 am by Travis32

» Battlefield One open beta available to everyone Aug 31st
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2016 4:59 am by STEELHED

» Battlefield One Beta Discussion..
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm by lurkin727

» Anyone still alive?
Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 8:21 pm by lurkin727

Ban Appeals
Photobucket
Geo-Locator
BF4 Stats
Photobucket
BF3 Stats
Photobucket
TS3 66.150.214.9:8640

Building New Rig

Go down 
+5
-L2-
Bust3r
Travis32
STEELHED
Leadzepplin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Leadzepplin

Leadzepplin

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 10:32 am

Getting ready to build my next computer. The first one I built went great with no problems. The only thing I didnt do myself was setting up the bios installing the operating system, drivers ect.... I had a guy I know come over and do all of that for me. He whiped through the process so fast that I really wasnt able to learn how to do it. I think im going to try to do this part myself this time. For one so I dont havet to pay someone to do it and for two I will have the satisfaction that I can do it. With that said does anyone Have a good dependable or acurate link they could post that I could study up on to do this so im not sweating in my chair while setting every thing up? Any extra advise would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
STEELHED
Admin
STEELHED

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 am

There is a certain self sustaining feeling when you have a grip from top to bottom.. You won't have to do too much in BIOS, check boot order and stuff.. You'll be fine, and if you're installing windows 7, it is pretty much automated.. If you need help understanding how to partition your hard drive, or anything else, we're here for ya!
Back to top Go down
Travis32

Travis32

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Yup, with modern motherboards, it's pretty much plug and play. I've built probably 6-7 PC's from scratch and updated my desktop countless times with new hardware. If you need help, just PM me and I'll be glad to assist.

Travis
Back to top Go down
Bust3r

Bust3r

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 6:15 am

Currently doing the same thing but I have to be very price conscious. Taking my time also. Why? Doing a Sandy Bridge. Its fairly new so there have been bugs. Also waiting to see what new Motherboards are coming for it. Lots of good stuff out now but just giving it some time. Got until November Smile

Good Luck

ps. STEELHED you really got to stop dying so much...lol! j/k
Back to top Go down
http://www.thecompanyhub.com
STEELHED
Admin
STEELHED

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 6:55 am

That is why I am waiting closer to release before I upgrade.. I only want to have to do it once..
Back to top Go down
-L2-

-L2-

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:48 am

Good Luck flashing your BIOS and be careful. I had to RMA my Mobo due to a bad BIOS. It wouldn't post at all after changing primary from floppy disc to HDD. Luckily, I had 2 months left in warranty. Unfortunately, here I sit pecking away on a very old HP looking at my new CPU and GPU still in their box.

When time permits read the forum Nimmer started for me here.
These guys are a wealth of information and reply promptly.
http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4630&page=7

...and here is a list of the best performing graphic cards.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,review-32170.html
Back to top Go down
Nimmer

Nimmer

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Leadzepplin wrote:
Getting ready to build my next computer. The first one I built went great with no problems. The only thing I didnt do myself was setting up the bios installing the operating system, drivers ect.... I had a guy I know come over and do all of that for me. He whiped through the process so fast that I really wasnt able to learn how to do it. I think im going to try to do this part myself this time. For one so I dont havet to pay someone to do it and for two I will have the satisfaction that I can do it. With that said does anyone Have a good dependable or acurate link they could post that I could study up on to do this so im not sweating in my chair while setting every thing up? Any extra advise would be greatly appreciated.

My suggestions are.

Do not overclock anything
Win 7 64
I7 (if rig is for gaming)
most modern boards do not require bios flashes so if you can avoid it , avoid it.

I would be happy to walk you through everything and anything, I have built about 20 full fledged systems and generally tend to build things that I know work.

Try surfing extreme systems and pick and choose different things you like and dislike. Computer parts are very cheap nowadays.

Guru3d just reviewed a x58 mb that has built in sound card and built in killer NC already in the MB (awesome) one feature that makes the killer nc desirable is that it has software built in to it that prioritizes bandwidth. Lets says you are Competing in twl match and wifey in other room downloading netflix at 1080p , the software (once set up) will put your bandwidth first a for gaming and everyone elses second.

Considering how many times you beat my ass in BF I would find it my pleasure to help you out bro how bout starting by posting some hardware you currently have and would like to carry over (this is the first step)

dont be shy brother I am getting yelled at by my boss during the day and by my wife during the night so posting this stuff on my android phone is actually a break from reality while they are yelling
Back to top Go down
-L2-

-L2-

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Nimmer wrote:
Computer parts are very cheap nowadays.
i7 cheap??? Evil or Very Mad I will agree to disagree.
That's a matter of opinion, and size of bank acct.
Back to top Go down
Nimmer

Nimmer

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 4:16 pm

-L2- wrote:
Nimmer wrote:
Computer parts are very cheap nowadays.
i7 cheap??? Evil or Very Mad I will agree to disagree.
That's a matter of opinion, and size of bank acct.

259 for least expensive i7 is not too bad if its for gaming. Then yes get the least expensive I7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115201&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-201-_-Product
Back to top Go down
Leadzepplin

Leadzepplin

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Antec 1200
Asus Sabertooth x58 LGA 1366
Corsair XMS 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI Express 1x Interface
Intel Core i7-940 2.93GHz
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W SLI Certified Ready
Western Digital 500gb 7200 RPM SATA 32MB Cache 6.0Gb/s
Asus ENGTX570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 480 Processor cores

Everything shiped from Newegg today so I should have everything by the end of the week. Thanks for all the support its nice to know a guy can call in backup when needed. Calms my nerves.
Back to top Go down
CroolTool

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Just Ordered my new Rig from Newegg   Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 am

was a bit painful to click that submit payment button but I did it.. lol

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper Mid Tower
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 850W Power supply
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR LGA 1366
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
12 Gig G.SKILL Ripjaws Series SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
Logitech G9x Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
COOLER MASTER V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

OKAY.. WHERE IS MY BF3?!! I'm ready for ya now...
Back to top Go down
BigTime!

BigTime!

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 am

Great builds you guys but is everyone afraid of the new Sandy Bridge?

It just amazes me. The only Intel CPU's that can compete with the Sandy Bridge i5 2500K ($225) are the i7 970 & up ($595 & up) & even then the power use & temps vs. performance is no contest.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=157

Back to top Go down
CroolTool

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 am

I thought about it, but i'm too impatient to wait for EVGA to release a MB for it, this puter build has been being put off for 2 years now an my system is gettin a bit long in the tooth
Back to top Go down
-L2-

-L2-

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Good comparison between the i5 and the i7. Nice find Biggie!
I will revisit my Intel build list with an i5 and compare prices again.

More on High End CPU's - Intel vs AMD
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Back to top Go down
3rdBat

3rdBat

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 am

I still think sandy bridge is to new and am going to wait to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it.
Back to top Go down
Nimmer

Nimmer

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 8:22 am

The right thing to do is save and wait for the new 2011 chipset in fall 2011

Considering BF3 will use 100% DX11 parallel thread offloading, cpus (mutli core multi thread cpus) will be even more important.

SAVE THE MONEY AND BUY THE BEST

Depreciation wise its the smartest move!!!

MY I7 was bought on day 1 (2 years ago???) and still beats 95% of everything out there

Remember the x68 MB 2011pin chipset for the new i7 (might be called I9) will have also onboard Titanium X-FI, USB3.0, PCI-E 3.0 (32 lanes) and quad channel ddr3

Nothing is more satisfying than saving that money (hiding it from wifey sucessfully) and the day the stuff comes out ...BAM you have it.

Back to top Go down
Leadzepplin

Leadzepplin

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:18 am

Hey Gents, I wanted to thank everyone for all the support on the forums and in teamspeak while going through the build process and start up. Im happy to say that everything went well! The new rig is running great!
Sure has been a cool experience being part of this community.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
STEELHED
Admin
STEELHED

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 9:46 am

AWESOME Zep..!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Building New Rig  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Building New Rig    Building New Rig  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building New Rig
Page 1 of 1